The mission of Archuleta School District 50 Joint is to empower students and staff to achieve personal and academic successes in a safe and appropriate learning environment while providing them with the tools to effectively navigate the 21st century.
In Archuleta School District, we believe in educating the Whole Student through a variety of academic programs and services to meet the diverse needs and interests of our students. We offer innovative schools with a full range of curriculum complemented by visual and performing arts, career and technical education and real time and online electives that provide a wide variety of options for students at the secondary level. Additionally, Pagosa Family School provides elective programs in art, Spanish and choral music for home and private school students during the school day and Spanish and choral music after school for public school students. Recognizing the need to address the learning needs of all students, Archuleta School District, in partnership with eight school districts, formed the Southwest Colorado eSchool. All schools have excellent programs that support students who are in need of additional support as well as a program for gifted students at all levels.
Students at Pagosa Springs Middle and High Schools can participate in a variety of athletics. At the Middle School, students can participate in football, volleyball, cross country, basketball, soccer, track, and wrestling. Pagosa Springs High School offers the following competitive sports: football, volleyball, basketball, baseball, golf, cross country, track, soccer, wrestling, and cheerleading.
Health and Wellness
Pagosa Springs Elementary and Middle Schools provide daily physical fitness and education for all students. Through grants, such as the Catch On Grant, students can participate in active outdoor after school education where they engage in learning such things as mountain biking, hiking, nutrition and other healthy habits. The district employs a district health and wellness coordinator who works with school level teams to promote student and staff wellness. For more information contact Sandy Lane.
This article includes comments from Superintendent, Linda Reed. Click on link to read article: View EdNews Colorado
Pagosa Springs Middle School named one of Colorado's "Healthy Schools Champions." View Article
Interesting Facts about Archuleta School District
- Archuleta School District is comprised of 3 campuses. Pagosa Springs Elementary School serves students kindergarten through fourth grade. Pagosa Springs Middle School serves students fifth through eighth grades. Pagosa Springs High School serves students ninth through twelfth grade.
- Student enrollment for 2016-2017 is:
- Elementary School – 585
- Middle School – 520
- High School - 411
- Archuleta School District 50 Joint was consolidated in 1950 from numerous small school districts throughout Archuleta County. The school district also crosses into the counties of Hinsdale and Mineral.
- The District provides bus service to most areas of the school district which encompasses all of Archuleta County.
- Special education services are provided in conjunction with the San Juan Board of Collaborative Education Services (BOCES). Services include those of a full time psychologist, speech and language specialist, social worker, and part time physical therapist, occupational therapist, and deaf and hard of hearing specialist.